Do you eat food additives and don't know it? If you were aware of what these additives do to your body chemistry you may not choose to put them into your mouth. Here is a great article that explains 6 additives you should think twice about…
Over the years dairy products have received a bad press which has caused many people to make the decision to turn to non dairy milk as the safer, healthier option. The most common non dairy products are soy milk, almond milk, rice milk and coconut milk. But did you know that the use of food additives to thicken, stabilize, help keep proteins suspended and extend shelf life are also quite commonly found in non dairy products!! I have listed 6 additives you can find in your non dairy milk, starting at
1. Natural Flavors When people see “All Natural Flavors,” it rarely occurs to anyone to ask what those natural flavors actually are. Unfortunately what they do not realize is that they are possibly consuming things like artificial sweeteners or MSG. If you are on the fence regarding artificial sweeteners then surely take another look at the name, this is a product that has basically been created in a lab environment and has been linked to many diseases!!
MSG is also used extensively in western countries and it is found in almost all processed foods. MSG itself is said to have hardly any detectable flavor at all, all it does is it enhances the flavor of food by tricking some of the taste buds on your tongue. MSG is an excitotoxin, this means it overexcites your cells to the point of damage or death, causing brain damage to varying degrees, and potentially even triggering or worsening learning disabilities!
2. Carrageenan – Be aware that even if additives in non-dairy milk are labeled as being “natural” additives, that does not necessarily mean they are good for you. Carrageenan is a perfect example of this, it is a natural seaweed-based additive and you would generally think that this is harmless or could actually provide some health benefits. It is used as a thickener, stabilizer and texturizer, it is industrially processed using potassium hydroxide and is used in a wide variety of products including non dairy milks. What they don’t tell you is that Carrageenan is used by researchers in order to induce colitis in laboratory animals.
3. Vitamin D2 – Most non dairy types of milk are fortified with vitamin D, but what the manufacturers often fail to state is what type of vitamin D they have added. Our bodies benefit most from vitamin D3… this is what our bodies produce when our skin is exposed to the sun.. but this is not the case, a majority of manufacturers use vitamin D2 which is not as beneficial to our bodies, it’s cheap and there is lots of it!!
4. Other Vitamins & Minerals – Calcium is also added to non dairy milk, however calcium can only be absorbed by the body if conditions are right. Vitamin D3 is needed for the absorption of calcium, not vitamin D2.
5. Soy – Soy has been considered a “wonder food” for years and people have used soy to replace foods such as meat and milk. Because of this soy and/or soy bean extract is now found into a majority of foods, including non-dairy milk. Organic Soy is healthier but please do take into consideration that studies have shown soy can cause serious hormone disruption.
6. Vegetable Oils – You may find that vegetable oil is one of the additives in some non-dairy milk. It does not matter if they use sunflower oil; palm oil; corn oil or canola oil, it is going to harm your health. These are toxic and should be avoided at all costs not to mention most of them are GMO.
Read more from our friends at Natural Cures Not Medicine.